It Happened in May – Pt 3 – Cam’s Crusher Crucifies Crestfallen Imps

By Keith Brookman

Having looked back at the month of April 2007, we have returned to the same year and the following month.  We have also taken this lockdown opportunity to give you a bumper month, with a separate release for each of the four stunning wins in May 2007!

We hope that the memories contained in these articles will bring back many memories of an incredible month of May just 13 years ago. We also trust that you are all taking care of yourself, your loved ones, friends and those who may be in the vulnerable category as we wait for this awful virus to pass. Wherever you are, and whatever you do, please stay safe.

Prior to the game at Sincil Bank the club announced that they would be offering pro contracts to the following Filton College youngsters; Alex Kite, Ryan Paddock, Tom Godsell, Charlie Clough, Adam Mahdi and Matt Groves.

The obligatory team photo at their hotel the night before the game [Photo Credit – Jeff Davis]

Rovers travelled north the day before the match and trained at Derby County’s training ground before heading to their Lincolnshire Hotel, with Paul Trollope saying; ‘We are going to have to be resolute because Lincoln will come out of the traps and try to set the tempo. We have to be solid and strong defensively, but we have players with quality and pace who can hurt people on the counter attack.’

Another pulsating match at Sincil Bank saw Rovers win 5-3 and go through to the play off final 7-4 on aggregate. There was hardly time to draw breath as Trollope’s side were 3-2 ahead at half time and scored twice more after the break.

Skipper Stuart Campbell, with a rare goal, opened the scoring after only three minutes with a contender for goal of the season and Rickie Lambert added a second before the home side pulled a goal back through Jeff Hughes on 25 minutes.

Stuart Campbell celebrates his early goal [Photo Credit – Jeff Davis]

Richard Walker restored Rovers’ two goal lead with 36 minutes on the clock, but Mark Stallard scored a second for Lincoln two minutes before the break.

Substitutes Sammy Igoe and Sean Rigg added second half goals while Hughes scored again for the home side with almost the last kick of the game.

It’s a goal for Sean Rigg [Photo Credit – Jeff Davis]

Rovers were at Wembley, that’s all that mattered to Gasheads everywhere and they had just over a week to prepare for a play off final. The tickets for that game were in the Lincoln City offices and they were bundled on to the team coach before we headed back to Bristol and would go on sale the following day.

Paul Trollope was, naturally, delighted with his side’s display and said afterwards; ‘We started well, tried to take the game to them and it worked. Some of our forward play was devastating.’

Richard Walker celebrates his goal [Photo Credit – Jeff Davis]

‘I’m a perfectionist and I wasn’t thrilled with some of our defensive play throughout the night and that’s something we’ll work on, but we’re pleased to get to Wembley. That’s two boxes out of three ticked and the big one is still to come.’

Stuart Campbell, not renowned for his goalscoring prowess, said; ‘I don’t know what came over me shooting from that range, but it was great to see it go in.’

Sean Rigg and Craig Disley celebrate at the final whistle [Photo Credit – Jeff Davis]

The night after the win at Lincoln Rovers discovered that their Wembley opponents would be Shrewsbury Town after they beat MK Dons in their semi final. That meant heartache for their on loan Rovers keeper Scott Shearer, as the clubs had an agreement that he would not be able to play in any games between them that season.

Find out what happens next on the 26th of May – see you soon…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s